First of all, what is an impromptu speech? It is a speech that is given without any special preparation nor notes. Usually, you are given 7 minutes to pick up a topic, use brainstorming, choose relevant arguments, and give a speech. Obviously, it is hard to deliver a structured, coherent speech without any preparation. However, it checks your ability to create an interesting text and speak from the heart. In other words, you have to play it by ear.
Well, but how to choose a relevant impromptu speech topic? We agree that it is extremely complicated if you have a few minutes for a whole preparation. That is why we made a list of the best impromptu speech topics that are comprehensible and easy to deliver. Not only we will share these topics with you but also we will give you several tips and tricks on how to succeed in giving an impromptu speech. These tips are used by celebrities and politicians so they are supposed to be really good.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
Impromptu Speech Structure: How To Give A Sequential Speech
As we already mentioned, you have only 7 minutes for preparation and a speech itself. It is up to how to manage the time: you can spend more time making an outline or speaking. However, usually, students spend equal amounts of time on each part. Therefore, it seems like you are going to have about 3,5 minutes to get ready for presenting your speech.
An impromptu speech structure is simple so there is no need to take a large effort to have the text easy to follow. It consists of an introduction, the main part, and a conclusion. Your introduction has to be brief and strong and it should contain a thesis statement. Even if your speech is vague, people will remember your thesis statement. Therefore, it is extremely important to choose a relevant thesis statement. Also, choose some interesting or controversial information to draw people’s attention.
Your main part has to contain arguments and evidence that support your words and statements. You can present quotes, facts, and scientific articles. To put it another way, make sure to use only credible sources. You should also say what sources you are using as it will provide the audience with materials for further reading.
The last part of an impromptu speech is a conclusion. It should be brief but thorough: reinforce your thesis, remind people of the key points from your speech. Do not rush just in order to finish your speech on time. However, you can omit some information if you see that you are running out of time.
Most Useful Tips And Tricks On How To Improve Your Impromptu Speech
As you already know, this type of speech does not require a lot of preparation. However, we want you to learn the best way to deliver information. Well, several tips and tricks that will allow you to improve the quality of speaking. Here are all of them:
- think about your listeners. Try to focus on the audience and watch the reaction of people. Your audience is your benchmark. Sometimes you do not need to have notes but to watch the movements and facial expressions of the beholders. You can interact with your audience if the topic is relevant for that;
- confidence is key. Watch some speeches of famous TV-stars and politicians. They are always confident no matter what mistakes they make during an interview. You get it and you can nail this task;
- omit vague statements. Your sentences have to be strong and comprehensible. Do not include information that is less important as it only takes your precious time;
- follow the logical sequence. No matter what happens, make sure to follow the logical sequence of the text. Each sentence and paragraph has to develop the idea from the previous one. Except for the last one as a conclusion summarizes data from the entire text;
- prepare a structure. Although you have just a few minutes to get ready, come up with a structure for your speech. Is it cause and effect? Or just past, present, and future?
- pick up a brief but powerful introduction and conclusion. These parts are the most important as people usually remember only them. Therefore, focus on making the beginning and the last paragraph brief but powerful;
- relax and let go. Do not try to say what you were planning to say. You need to keep in mind the structure of your speech – and this is enough to make a coherent presentation. When you are relaxed, your audience feels that and it becomes relaxed, too;
- share personal experience. Make your speech unique and personalized. Add a relevant story of your life and explain how it is related to the topic;
- remember about your body language. Straighten up, take a deep breath, do not slouch, and use big gestures while you are speaking. Keep your eyes on your audience to have closer contact with people. You need to be a single whole with the audience;
- play with a voice intonation. Change your voice tone when you switch to another argument or a part of the text.
If it is too complicated for you to deliver an impromptu speech, divide it into questions and answers. Pick up several questions and provide answers to them. Check it out and let us know if this tip is useful for you.
40 Impromptu Speech Topics For A Great Speech
We divided these 40 topics into appropriate categories so that you can find the right one for you. Still, we recommend you to look through all the topics as they are really good.
Persuasive Impromptu Speech Topics
- Why college education has to be free.
- Girls have to compete with boys in sports.
- There should be no homework for high school students.
- It is useful to start working as soon as possible.
- Why we need to walk more these days.
- A healthy lifestyle can save us from depression.
- Why being yourself always pays off.
Impromptu Speech Topics For Middle School
- Are grades so important at school?
- My first pet: The journey so far.
- Our family’s Christmas traditions.
- Is it important to have a best friend?
- Whom I want to become in 5 years.
- My perfect summer/winter vacation.
Impromptu Speech Topics For High School
- What university I want to study in.
- How to deal with frustration.
- School psychologists: Should you opt for their help?
- Family conflicts: What can you do to fix them.
- Whom I want to be in 10 years.
- A story that changed my life.
Cheerful Impromptu Speech Topics
- How to irritate your siblings.
- Best ways to sneak out of the house.
- Prank your family with these tricks.
- The funniest thing that ever happened to me.
- 5 jokes that can make everybody cry.
- 8 things you should not say to your loved ones.
- The art of being a jerk.
Entertaining Impromptu Speech Topics
- Best country to live in for students.
- Tall people problems.
- Best ways to develop creativity.
- The benefits of being a man.
- The worst business models.
- How to become a model if you are short.
- Become a programmer in 10 days.
How-To Impromptu Speech Topics
- How to build your career while you are studying?
- How to nail the interview?
- How to enter the Ivy League college?
- How to make friends with anybody?
- How to move out of your parents?
- How to pass a test if you are not ready?
- How to lose weight without dieting?
Best Impromptu Speech Topics For Every Student
So, these were the 40 best impromptu speech topics for students. Make sure to look through them as well as learn our tips for a successful impromptu speech. While speaking, remember to stay calm and relaxed, use big gestures, and focus on your audience. Do not be afraid of forgetting something – vice versa, try to play it by ear.
If you have any questions or you want to get some help with your assignment, contact our service right away. We are always ready to cope with your tasks no matter how complicated they are.