Each school or college has a discussion club that discusses a variety of topics. Besides, in the lessons, you may be asked to prepare a presentation and defend the topic in front of the audience. This requires not only your oratory skills but also the ability to choose the right topic and argument.
A lot of students believe that the debate is designed to determine the correct and erroneous point of view. However, the truth is that each discussion is needed to reach agreement and compromise. In other words, each participant in the debate is somewhat right, and his speech determines the degree of correctness and the ability to prove his argument.
We have created tips on choosing the right topic and preparing your presentation. This will be your instruction and will help you tune in to the right wave.
What Is the Right Debate Topic
If we immediately publish a list of sample topics for debate, you will be confused. At first glance, it is impossible to distinguish a good topic from a disgusting one. The same topic can fail or shoot, depending on the feed. However, for a successful presentation, your topic should be:
- Corresponding to the subject of discussion and level of education. You should not discuss genetic engineering technologies if you are in high school. Pick topics that suit the subject perfectly, and are not at the intersection of sciences.
- Attractive to you. You should tell about your sincere attitude to the problem or share your experience. If you are concerned about the subject of discussion, this is positively displayed in the manner of speaking and conducting the discussion.
- Not new for the panelists. It is best to choose topics that have already been discussed in the lessons. In this way, other students will be prepared for counterarguments and will be able to take part in the debate.
- Agile. Do not pick a categorical name so as not to look arrogant. Remember that the debate should find a solution to the problem, and not announce the winner. Truth is always born in dispute.
How to Prepare for a Performance
So, you have found a suitable topic for debate. The next step is the quality preparation for speaking to the audience. Learn these steps for a successful performance:
- Make a performance plan. Calculate the time for which you must tell the introduction, arguments, and conclusion. Think through everything to the smallest detail, even clothes and gestures during the presentation. Rehearse a performance in front of loved ones or a mirror.
- Create slides that will accompany your words. If the information comes not only from you but also from the screen, students will absorb it twice as fast. It does not take much time, but the result will please you.
- Focus on persuasion. Your arguments are the center of speech, and it is precisely on their strength and presentation that your success depends. Use brainstorming to pick up worthwhile statements.
- Add citations and excerpts from relevant articles or scientific papers. This will help you earn the trust of your audience because your arguments will seem to be true. However, make sure your source is credible and in-demand among the target audience.
- Come up with the thesis statement, a few hooks to catch the readers ’attention. Use quotes from famous people, scientific facts, or jokes. Prepare a strong introduction to help get your attention. Leave most of the time, with arguments and conclusion.
- Get help from professionals. Our service offers services for preparing performance plans and building a compelling presentation. If you have little time, this is the best way to prove yourself!
How to Establish Contact with the Audience
When you are ready to speak, you have to show your maximum in front of the audience. It will be easy if you know how to behave. Here are the key tips for making a presentation:
- Be yourself. Remember you are not acting on the stage, so don’t try to pass yourself off as another person. Rehearse your speech, gestures and walking in advance. Smile and radiate sincerity.
- Be consistent. Do not confuse the arguments; follow the logic of your speech. If you have a presentation, look at the slides. However, if you still get lost, apologize to the audience and translate everything as a joke. People will feel sympathy for you because incidents happen in everyone.
- Be brave. Do not hide your eyes, do not stomp on the spot. Imagine that you are a member of a dance battle. Share views with other discussion participants.
- Be flexible. In most cases, participants forget something or swap places. If you are stuck and do not know what to say next, say your thesis and continue the discussion based on it.
- Believe in your point of view. Even if you have heard the ideas of opponents, and they seem to be correct, concentrate on your statements. Believe that you will succeed, and then it will be so.
- Be careful. Sometimes in the words of opponents, you will hear inaccuracies and insufficient argumentation. Take notes and come up with counterarguments.
- Do not express anger. Even if your opponent mocks and teases you, keep your level. Keep calm and don’t raise your voice.
Best Topics for the Debate
We have compiled a list of topics depending on the level of education and subject. Choose the category you need and see examples.
Topics for high school debate
- Pros and cons of online education
- Should parents financially encourage children?
- How do smartphones affect our concentration?
- Why does the child’s success in the subject depend on the teacher?
- Why are children afraid to talk about bullying at school?
- Does every person need a college education?
- Where to start financial education?
- Should physical education be a compulsory subject?
Topics for college debate
- Why do teens need sex education?
- What kind of music enhances our productivity?
- Why is self-education the most effective?
- Pros and cons of distance learning
- Should medicine be expensive?
- How focused is foreign policy?
- At what age should a student live separately?
- Why is the curriculum not relevant?
Environment debate topics
- How can we stop global warming?
- Why is an environmental disaster inevitable?
- Environmental benefits of veganism
- Is it worth it to reduce the number of industrial plants?
- How does production affect the amount of drinking water?
- Pros and cons of nature reserves
- Should the production of plastic be legally banned?
- Do we need to rethink our diet?
Technology debate topics
- Pros and cons of rapid technological development
- How does using a smartphone affect our health?
- Should the government introduce new technologies to schools?
- How does technological progress affect the environment?
- Are technologies bringing us closer or moving away?
- Pros and cons of industrial automation
- When will the technology peak?
- How do doctors use new technologies?
Universal debate topics
- What is the danger of meeting and communicating on the Internet?
- Can I always carry a smartphone with me?
- How did the appearance of Instagram affect the pastime of people?
- Is it true that rest is a change of activity?
- Do I need to reduce the amount of homework?
- Pros and cons of remote work
- How do relationships with parents affect career success?
- Do I need to ban social networks for children?
Ethic debate topics
- How does same-sex marriage affect a child’s orientation?
- Is a psychologist needed in kindergartens?
- Why can parents not find an approach to the teenager?
- How to motivate a child to attend sports sections?
- Pros and cons of globalization
- Should abortion be prohibited?
- Should possession of weapons be legalized?
- E-books versus paper ones
The debate is held to reach an agreement and determine a solution to the problem. If you are a participant in the discussion, you have to choose the topic of comprehensive preparation for the presentation. Be prepared to be the subject of the attention of the entire audience. With the help of our tips, you can earn the trust of the audience and consistently argue your opinion.
If you do not have enough time for quality writing, contact a debate specialist for help. Our service offers complete debate preparation and planning support. Doubt your strength? We are always ready to help you!